Ogbourne St Andrew Parish History Group

        Ogbourne St Andrew, Maisey & Rockley
Go to content

Main menu:

Rockley Chapel

Villages > Rockley

Rockley Chapel

In the 13 th century there is mention of a chapel at Rockley, dedicated to St. Leonard.  However, the inhabitants could neither receive sacraments nor sacramentals and they had to attend the mother church of Ogbourne  St. Andrew.  The chapel fell into disrepair and by the 15 th century was in ruins.  There is now no trace of where this chapel might have stood.   

After two unsuccessful attempts to provide a new chapel (services were being held in a room), one was opened for worship in 1873.  However it was never consecrated.  In 1961 the chapel became unsafe and the congregation dwindled to nothing.  The PCC gave the order that the Chapel of All Saints be dismantled and closed.  A request to reopen the Chapel was refused by the church commissioners in 1965-66.  

In 1981 it was used as a cookery school and then in 1982 opened as the Loaves and Fishes restaurant.  It is now (2012) a private residence.

January 2021
copyright Ogbourne St Andrew History Group 2021
Back to content | Back to main menu