History: The 10th Battalion, the Gloucestershire Regiment was formed at Bristol in September 1914 as part of Kitcheners ‘new’ K3 Army and attached as Army Troops to the 26th Division. It then moved to Salisbury Plain, but by November 1914 was in billets in the Cheltenham area. It finally returned to Salisbury Plain in April 1915 for additional training exercises prior to leaving for the continent, finally landing at France on the 8 August 1915. On the 17 August 1915 the Regiment was transferred to the command of 1 st Brigade of the 1 st Division. The 1 st Division moved inland from the coastal ports to the northern French city of Bethune, linking up with both British and French Forces in the north and south of the frontline.